Saturday, March 3, 2007

08-20-2004 poast By Bill Johnson

Request:
I am the eldest son of Howard K. Johnson who served on the PGM-17 from 24 Oct.44 when it was commissioned in Florida until 4 May 45 when it was "dstroyed by grounding Okinawa, Ryukyu islands" Other records I have been able to find indicate that the PGN-17 was decommisioned on 2 July 45. My Father never spoke of his service and died young many years ago. I was able to get his personnel records (some of them anyway) and have been trying to trace his Navy service. Records show that after the PGM-17 he was transferred to ATR-( and participated in the occupation of Japan. I think it may have been in Nagasaki. I'm writing this to ask if anyone has any knowledge of PGM-17 or its crew or ATR-(. He was returned to the States on the USS Electra on 25 October 45 and discharged on 20 November. The PGM 31 deck logs and the blogs have heen very helpful.
Thanks, Bill Johnson

No comments: