Wednesday, March 7, 2007

03-06-2007 Post By Gene Holymeyer

I don't know if you were topside or not when we pulled into Okinawa but there was a PGM that had gone aground. I searching it a little further I found that it said the 10 had gone aground there. They later got it unstuck and I am sure it was with us when we were following the Minesweepers.

Speaking of which three of us had gone ashore on leave on one of the islands and either we missed the boat to take us back to the 31 or it never came. So we rode out with one from one of the minesweepers. They said "My GOD it looks like you are sitting right on top of the mines when you explode them. I said we are and thus far two guys have taken shrapnel on the bridge, and another one was hit. And a half a mine lit on our deck heading straight at me and I do mean straight. I just had time enough to jump big time behind the tower of the Twin 40s. I thought for sure I was a goner.

They gave us each a life jacket to use for a pillow and we slept on the fantail. About 10PM (in case you have forgotten that is 2200 hours) all hell broke loose, 20 mm, pyrotecnics, searchlights etc. celebrating the news that the war was over however that was not quite right. Would you believe it, I don't remember how we got back to the ship.

No comments: